Protoaculous 1.9.0-1.7.2.0 Minified

What
This is an update to a post from 2011: Protoaculous 1.9.0 Minified. In the older post, I published Protoaculous 1.9.0 which was based on Scriptaculous 1.9.0 and PrototypeJS 1.7.0.

Updates

  1. A newer version of PrototypeJS is out: 1.7.2. So I’ve updated Protoaculous to use the newer version.
  2. Switched away from YUI Compressor to Google Closure Compiler since it produces more compressed files.
  3. I was previously using Scriptaculous version number as Protoaculous’ version number. This type of versioning is flawed because it doesn’t work when only PrototypeJS gets updated. So I’m now using Scriptaculous_version-Prototype_version.
  4. I’ve published the script I use to create new versions of Protoaculous on Github: Protoaculous Bundler.

Direct links

  • https://raw.githubusercontent.com/inderpreet99/protoaculous-bundler/master/dist/protoaculous.1.9.0-1.7.2.0.js
  • https://raw.githubusercontent.com/inderpreet99/protoaculous-bundler/master/dist/protoaculous.1.9.0-1.7.2.0.min.js

Warnings
I have not tested how well the combination of the two scripts perform. Please use caution and testing before using it in a production environment. Although previous versions have performed well.

Issues
While generating protoaculous using Google Closure Compiler, I noticed the following issues, which should probably be fixed by the PrototypeJS team:

Generate protoaculous.1.9.0-1.7.2.0.js and protoaculous.1.9.0-1.7.2.0.min.js in dist...
dist\protoaculous.1.9.0-1.7.2.0.js:4619: WARNING - Suspicious code. The result of the 'getprop' operator is not being used.
  arr[ preferredDoc.childNodes.length ].nodeType;
  ^

dist\protoaculous.1.9.0-1.7.2.0.js:5602: WARNING - Suspicious code. This code lacks side-effects. Is there a bug?
  if ( elem.parentNode ) {
  ^

dist\protoaculous.1.9.0-1.7.2.0.js:5603: WARNING - Suspicious code. The result of the 'getprop' operator is not being used.
  elem.parentNode.selectedIndex;
  ^

0 error(s), 3 warning(s)

Size information

Size of Prototype.js + Scriptaculous = 314K
Size of Protoaculous.js Minified = 166K

Suggestions

I would suggest:

  1. Turning on gzip functionality (mod_deflate on Apache) for all html and js/css/etc assets in your webserver to get filesizes even lower. This would ensure your users get the files even faster.
  2. Adding very long expiration dates (like years) through your webserver on js/css/etc assets. This would ensure your users do not have to download the files again and again. Since the files are versioned, there should not be a problem in cache busting on newer updates.

 

1 thought on “Protoaculous 1.9.0-1.7.2.0 Minified”

Leave a Comment